Remote Proctor NOW through Software Secure is an online software solution for online examination licensed by MSU. Remote Proctor NOW integrates with D2L so instructors can set up exams that are facilitated in a secure and proctored testing environment for a cost of $15 per proctored exams. Remote Proctor NOW authenticates the identity of the test taker and captures the exam session, which is later reviewed by certified proctors. A report is provided to the instructor with links to the video.
Remote Proctor is now integrated as as LTI tool within D2L and instructors no longer need a separate account or login. Prior to June 2016, instructors were asked to request an account through MSU Distance Learning Services.
Add the RPNow External Learning Tool link as a draft item in your D2L coursesite.
- Navigate to a content area to place your RPNow link for managing exams with Remote Proctor.
- Select Existing Activities > External Learning Tools
- Choose RPNow from the pop-up window and a link will be created at the bottom of your page.
- Use the pull-down by the title to Edit Properties In-place and make the item Draft (hidden). Students will not use this link.
- If you already have active, password protected, exams, move on to step 3.
Set up an exam in D2L
- Create your exam using the Quiz tool in D2L (Go to Assessments>Quizzes or Course Admin).
- In the Quiz setting click on the Restrictions tab.
- Expand Optional Advanced Restrictions options.
- Create a password for the exam. Do not share this password with students.
Note: Spaces and the following special characters are not allowed in the quiz title or password field: # < > : ,\ / ? *| &. Otherwise use any random variation of keyboard strokes. The RPNow LTI link will display the password in the instructor view of manage exams once synced.
- Set the exam to "Active" and add a Start Date if needed (Restrictions tab). RPNow will not find quizzes unless they are active and have a password restriction. Review all other exam settings, verify they are accurate, and Save.
Register your exam with Remote Proctor NOW
- Return to the RPNow LTI link created in your D2L coursesite to create an exam profile (optional) and register your exam.
- RPNow uses a default "Closed Book" Exam Rule Profile that prohibits the use of any resources. Create a new profile if you have allowed resources or want to provide any other notes to the monitors. Select Exam Rule Profile > Create New Profile, enter profile name, select additonal options, and click Create Profile.
- To register your exam, select Exams > Register New Exam.
- Select Proctored Exam (for video monitoring - fee based) or Practice Exam (not monitored - free)
Note: As a best practice, require a Practice Exam early in the course, at least one week prior to proctored exams, to help ensure familiarity with the product and to ensure they meet the necessary requirements. It is best to make these practice exams around 5-10 minutes long. Practice exams will not be reviewed by Remote Proctor.
- Click inside the blank text field to select from available quizzes. You may select multiple items to register them all at once. Keep in mind, you cannot change a practice exam to a proctored exam and vice versa. You will have to create a new copy of the quiz (More Actions > Copy) and start over if you need to make this change.
- For a Proctored Exam, enter the additional information for Exam Duration, approximate Number of Students, Exam Rule Profile, and Submit.
- Click on View Managed Exams when done or select Exams > Manage Registered Exams.
- Provide the Remote Proctoring URL http://michiganstate.remoteproctor.com to students.
- Provide students with additional MSU help documentation Remote Proctor Now Student Guide
Support for instructors
Please contact Software Secure at email@example.com