Q: Why isn’t my content showing?
A: D2L is on a secure server. If you are linking to a non-secure website, the content may be blocked by the browser. See the following for further understanding: Mixed Content Blocking and Browser Changes for Secure Pages.
A: Make certain your course is active and has the correct date restrictions.
- From My Home, select your course.
- Click the Edit Course link from the Nav bar.
- Click Course Offering Information
- Under the Active section, check the box to the left of Course is active.
- Under the Start Date section, check the box Course has start date. Enter the desired course start date and time.
- Under the End Date section, check the box Course has end date. Enter the desired course end date and time.
- Click Save.
See this quick video on Activating a Course in D2L for a walk through.
A: Students view dropbox feedback from the dropbox area and from Grades.
- On the Dropbox Folders page, click View in the Feedback column beside the folder containing the submission.
- View Score, Feedback, and Rubric assessment if provided.
- Click Download All Files to download feedback attachments if provided.
- When finished viewing feedback, click Done.
- The text entered by the instructor in the feedback area also appears as a comment for the grade item if connected to the gradebook.
Q: What is the difference between a Forum and a Topic in D2L? Why can’t my students post to a Forum I created?
A: Discussion Forums in D2L serve as a category for grouping Discussion Topics (i.e., Weekly Discussions). Topics are the actual discussion areas for new threads and replies. You cannot post to a Forum. Forums are useful because settings made at the Forum level apply to all Topics contained within. You can also hide (collapse) or show (expand) Topics for managing your view.
A: You can send an email to the entire class from within the course Classlist. Go to Communications > Classlist > Email Classlist. Click “Send Email” to compose your message and then click “Send” at the top when done. Optionally, use Communications > Classlist > select checkbox by students and click the Email icon/link above the list
See this video on Emailing your course in D2L for more on using the Address Book.
Q: When composing a new email message, why doesn’t the user appear in the “To:” field after selecting them from the Address Book?
A: When you are using the Address Book, you need to 1) select the user name(s), 2) click on the appropriate field (To, Cc, or Bcc), and 3) click on Add Recipients. Step 2 is often missed and there may be a lag before the name(s) populate the field. When not using the Address Book, you can directly enter their names or email address into the To field and select from the choices provided. To expand the Cc and Bcc fields, click Add CC or BCC.
See this video on Emailing your course in D2L for more on using the Address Book.
Q: Why don't all of my D2L email messages appear in my D2L Inbox? What if I did not receive a known email?
A: You may have messages filtered to a specific course rather than showing all messages. When you are in a course and then click on the email link, the messages filter to that course. Use the “Filter By” pull down menu and select “All Messages” to see all email. Use the “settings” link (upper right) to configure options such as tracking activity for sent messages and forwarding email.
If you do not see an expected email in “All Messages,” contact your instructor. See the Known Issues page for status updates on any current problems or fixes with D2L email.
A: Instructors (course editors) can add existing users to their course Classlist.
Go to Communication > Classlist > Add Participants (dropdown) > Add existing users, enter an MSUNet ID or other identifier in the search field and click the magnifying glass icon. From the search results, check the box next to the user, assign a role, and click “Enroll Selected Users.” Check the box at the top to “Send enrollment email” after getting the search results and before clicking “Enroll Selected Users.”
A: You can add users to a course without a MSU NetID by establishing a Community ID. See How to Add a Guest to Your D2L Course for more information.
A: You can temporarily switch your role from your personal menu .
- Click the personal menu on the minibar (down arrow by name).
- Do one of the following:
- Click Change to select a temporary role from the list that appears.
- Click View as [role]. This link defaults to the highest sorted role that you have permission to switch to and will remember your last choice.
- To end a role switch, select the personal menu and click the x by Viewing as [role].
You can also impersonate the DemoStudent to mimic a student. This allows you to bypass course access restrictions and view/test connected grade activities in the gradebook. Each course is created with a unique DemoStudent in the Classlist. The Impersonate option allows you to view the course just as a student would. You can take quizzes, check date restrictions, populate the gradebook to check things out, and so on. When you are done, you can Restore yourself back to your own role.
- From your course, go to Communication > Classlist
- Navigate to DemoStudent and click the drop down to the right of the name.
- Select Impersonate.
- Click Yes in the popup that appears. This suspends your current session and logs you in as the selected user. You will see an indication of the role in the minibar at the top.
- To return to your normal role, click the dropdown next to DemoStudent in the minibar and click the “x” to stop impersonating.
See this quick video on Impersonating the Demo Student in D2L.
A: By default, the overall grade is not displayed to students (only individual grades are displayed). To display the overall or final calculated grade, use the pull-down menu next to “Final Calculated Grade” and select “Enter Grades.” Then use the pull-down at the top next to the title Final Grades and select “Release All.” An open eye icon will appear next to grades to indicate that students can see their final grade in their grades list.
A: Detailed steps are listed below:
- Click the Content tab
- Enter your new module title in the Add a module... field, which is below the Table of Contents title and any existing modules.
- Press Enter or click outside the field to add the module.
- Click on the module you want to add a sub-module to from the left panel.
- On the right, enter your new sub-module title in the Add a sub-module... field at the bottom of the page.
- Press Enter or click outside the field to add the sub-module.
Delete a module
- Click on the module from the left panel.
- On the right, use the pull down next to the module title at the top and select
A: There are multiple ways to add content into D2L. Start by selecting a module where you want to add content: , The easiest way is to drag Word Documents, PowerPoint Files, PDFs and the like directly into the module to the dotted area until it turns green. You can also use the New button to upload files, create a file, create a link, etc. To delete, use the pull down option by the item’s title. To update, select “Change File” from the pull down options. Drag and drop the updated file and click Update.
A: The D2L gradebook contains your grading system, grade calculations, grade scheme, grade items, and view and display options. Consider:
- Which grading system is most appropriate for your course.
- What grade items you plan to evaluate.
- How you will allocate points or weights across grade items.
- Which grade items you will associate with course objects.
- How you want to calculate final grades.
The simplest way to begin is to use the Gradebook Setup Wizard and follow the steps there. It should direct you to the questions you need to answer if you have not already done so.
A: The default submission view will appear to users after they submit a quiz. By default, only the date of submission and score are made available. The default view and/or additional views can be changed in the quiz settings.
- Go to Assessments > Quizzes > (Edit Quiz) > Submission Views tab,
- click on "Default View" to edit or "Add Additional View,"
- select new settings and Save,
- Save and Close quiz settings.
D2L will display the most current submission view based on the given date. Create an additional submission view to turn off details after a specified date (i.e., create an additional view to start showing questions and answers and another view at a later date to stop showing questions and answers).
Q: How do I review my quiz results? (Student)
A: Students may click on their attempt in the quiz submissions area to view results. Go to Assessments > Quizzes and click on the feedback icon or select Submissions from the pull down menu of the quiz you want to view and then click on the attempt. The instructor controls what information is released to the student in this location. By default, only the date of submission and score are made available.
A: Single sign-on. Clear browser cache, shut it down and reopen. Or, try another browser.
Q: Where can I find more information on creating accessible course documents?
A: Find more information on the webaccess website: http://webaccess.msu.edu